Why am I "reflecting" @ the BEGINNING of the FALL? Well, after the past week I'm curious what God might be up to as we begin our fifth semester @ Lonestar Montgomery. As of today:
1) BSM had an amazing Kickoff that allowed us to connect with 300-400 students.
2) Over 10% of the students we met @ our Kickoff chose to sign up for our weekly reminders & express interest in begin part of BSM weekly.
3) We have wonderful local local friends & churches who partner with us to make our special events & weekly lunches possible.
4) We have an incredible relationship with LSCM Student Life.
5) We have some GREAT student leaders (leading an Explore God Group) this semester!
6) We have wonderful volunteers - both on & off campus who make BSM possible.
7) UGGG! We were assigned our second choice for a room this semester. Here's that story & maybe why...
The past 3 semesters we've been in Building G. This past April, I requested a classroom in Building G again for this Fall. Building G is the "General" building on campus with a lot of foot traffic & a majority of the typical "freshman" courses. On Monday, I was told that all the classroom space (which hold up to 40 students) was completely full this Fall during our FREE LUNCH & that we've been assigned to Building B, Room 102. So I spent some of Monday evening complaining to my husband about Building B. Two years ago, our first semester @ LSCM, we used B-102. Not a bad room as Building B (the sciences building) it runs along the major sidewalk on campus. So it's not a terrible spot on campus to be. Actually it's easier to access than the 2nd floor classrooms in G we used last 3 semesters. Oh, did I mention that B-102 is a theater, which holds 75-80 students?!
During our Kickoff Event Tuesday, I found myself hoping that all 300-400 students did NOT come back next week for FREE LUNCH - we won't have room (especially in a classroom) nor enough food... that's when it hit me that we would be in B-102. Maybe God knew what he was doing after all... praying we pack B-102!
HE's in charge & I'm just along for the ride. Thank you for your continued prayers & support.
This is an exciting time of year. My kids off to the first day of school & I'm focusing my attention toward the BSM's first day back on campus. From new teachers to new pencils and new tennis shoes... it's a new year and a new start. It's the time of year that I get to watch the seeds of ministry that were planted back in May begin to poke their tiny little heads up out of the ground. Seeds that have been watered by YOUR faithful prayers and the planning / preparation of our staff, many volunteers, partners in ministry, and our Student Life Office. All of it means that the FALL is just about to start!
A few signs of new seedlings:
1) confirmation phone calls, emails, and texts for lunches and Welcome Week.
2) pictures from partners in ministry as they help prepare for the FALL. (Pictured: a ministry partner pick up 600 snacks and cookie for backpack treats).
3) our 1,000 new business cards to give out during the first few weeks of class have arrived.
4) incoming students already inquiring about BSM this Fall.
5) BSM T-shirts we delivered yesterday! (We use these as a walking advertisements & personal invitations on our current / active students).
6) prep meetings with student leaders & staff.
7) new promo display for student organization fairs.
8) new invitation sign to be used outside the room/door of BSM FREE LUNCH (came about due to a conversation with a student after the last lunch last Spring).
This year we want to walk with students as they "Take the first step or next step on their faith journey." Please pray that Yahweh uses the plans and preparation of our staff, our volunteers, & our student leaders to make the BEST NEW of ALL - an experience with the God that makes ALL THINGS NEW.
is a Texas Baptist Missionary, raising 100% of her salary to serve on the college campuses in Montgomery County, Texas. She holds a Master of Divinity & has been in college ministry since 1996.