This is an exciting time of year. My kids off to the first day of school & I'm focusing my attention toward the BSM's first day back on campus. From new teachers to new pencils and new tennis shoes... it's a new year and a new start. It's the time of year that I get to watch the seeds of ministry that were planted back in May begin to poke their tiny little heads up out of the ground. Seeds that have been watered by YOUR faithful prayers and the planning / preparation of our staff, many volunteers, partners in ministry, and our Student Life Office. All of it means that the FALL is just about to start!
A few signs of new seedlings:
1) confirmation phone calls, emails, and texts for lunches and Welcome Week.
2) pictures from partners in ministry as they help prepare for the FALL. (Pictured: a ministry partner pick up 600 snacks and cookie for backpack treats).
3) our 1,000 new business cards to give out during the first few weeks of class have arrived.
4) incoming students already inquiring about BSM this Fall.
5) BSM T-shirts we delivered yesterday! (We use these as a walking advertisements & personal invitations on our current / active students).
6) prep meetings with student leaders & staff.
7) new promo display for student organization fairs.
8) new invitation sign to be used outside the room/door of BSM FREE LUNCH (came about due to a conversation with a student after the last lunch last Spring).
This year we want to walk with students as they "Take the first step or next step on their faith journey." Please pray that Yahweh uses the plans and preparation of our staff, our volunteers, & our student leaders to make the BEST NEW of ALL - an experience with the God that makes ALL THINGS NEW.
As we brace for Hurricane Harvey and pray for those that will be effected by his impact, I cannot help but think of all the prayer, prep work, coordination, and organization that has gone into the BSM KICKOFF COOKOUT next Tuesday, August 29th. We all knew there was a chance that the Disaster Relief Trailer from West Conroe Baptist Church would not be available if there was a national or natural disaster. BUT WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF THAT, right? Well, there's a very good chance with Harvey looming in the gulf. So now what?
I've always said that this BSM is a God thing. All that has happened so far... can only be explained because of the working of God. Our God is big and can move on campus regardless of how we start the semester. Let's pray that he shows off in a big way in spite of Harvey.
If you are a church partner or volunteer, hold tight. I'll keep you posted as the weekend progresses and I know more.
The past two weeks can only be explained as a God thing. I've had staff & faculty express how happy they are to see a BSM come to LoneStar (cause they've experienced a BSM elsewhere). I've met so many students how seem hungry for a Christian student organization like BSM on our local campus. Doors & relationship seem open & ready! I feel like God is up to something on our campuses... & I'm excited to see what He does!
WELCOME WEEK TOTALS (August 30-Sept.8th):
1) BSM gave out 450 (out of 451) Survival Kits (provided by a local church partner).
2) BSM yielded 133 names & contact info from students interested in BSM.
3) 48 students expressed interest in being involved in an on campus (student led) weekly Bible Study.
4) 29 students asked for an opportunity to sit down with someone & talk about their spiritual/faith questions,
5) 12 students asked for help finding a local church.
6) Monty the Maverick stopped by BSM events TWICE! He seems to be a BSM fan & we'll take his endorsement!
BSM Montgomery DOES NOT EXIST WITHOUT YOUR FUNDING so YOUR PARTNERSHIP is greatly appreciate!
Not a partner of BSM yet? Consider becoming one today!
I have to admit that I have some mixed feelings about the first day of classes and Welcome Week next week! While I wake up each morning excited about what I see God doing among the 14,000 students in Montgomery County Texas, I have to also admit that I know what Moses felt like when he told Yahweh he couldn't lead God's people. It's an inadequate feeling that somehow I'm gonna mess this up or no ones gonna listen to me. So on one hand, I'm admitting I'm human and scared to death about the first of school. On the other hand, I'm completely encourage by the ministry partners standing with me - YOU. Your endorsement and commitment to support me adds an element to ministry that I haven't experience prior in my 20 years of ministry. Yes, I've work for two state conventions and the national convention, which in itself gave me the endorsement of all the Baptist churches in that state (or nation). But having personal partners like YOU, committed to ME adds a level of confidence and your face, which I haven't had in the past. It also helps me get out of bed each morning and get to campus, it encourages me get to do what God has gifted me to do - invest in the spiritual lives of college students.
I APPRECIATE YOUR PARTNERSHIP & LITERALLY COULDN'T DO BSM WITHOUT YOU!
is a Texas Baptist Missionary, raising her financial support to serve on the college campuses in Montgomery County, Texas. This blog is an effort to keep you posted with what's happening on campus monthly. Please consider becoming one of Tamara's financial partners (of course it's tax deductible).