It dawned on me that Spring '19 will be over in a few weeks! The Spring has gone so fast partly because I've been on campus twice as much each week (see related prayer request below), which mean I've had less time to devote to updating you but let me assure you that Yahweh has been at work on our local campus. As I reflect on our Spring allow me to hit the highlights for you:
1) our Ask the Pastor event when we had a panel of three local pastors and a wonderful conversation with local college students regarding their personal faith questions.
2) the Free Lunch about "What Really Matters: Weakness over Strength" where we talked about the paradox of a life of faith is that we often experience His strength only in our times of greatest weakness. Only to have Rose (a self proclaimed skeptic and seeker of faith related things) remark that that sounds like we were happy to be depressed. Which sparked a great conversation and discussion of the Gospel.
3) when I met Cody after the Free Lunch topic about How to manage our money in the way that would please God (& practical tips). Cody revealed he did not grow up with faith but is interested in spiritual things and adding faith to his life.
4) praying with Allie after lunch because her brother was recently killed accidentally. A great conversation - outside her comfort zone as she communicates through typing due to a speech impediment.
5) our last leaders meeting of 18-19 when our student leaders realized that it was almost over. They typically rush away after our planning meeting but on April 4th they just sat and enjoyed each others company. Laughing and telling stories about our year together. An answer to our pray from summer 2018 - for students to bond together into a group and become leaders.
6) our student leaders wanting to take the next step on their faith journey who came up with the idea for our "How To" series on the Third Thursday's of each month - How do I: share my faith, study scripture, pray.
7) the students that took the BSM Bible Challenge to read scripture together during the February (John) & March (Romans). Many students reading scripture on their own for the very first time, failing, finding out how difficult it can be, and encouraging one another to continue.
There's many more moments and student stories... but you get the idea, it was a great Spring to be on campus and part of what God is doing in the lives of local college students.
1) for students mentioned above - that God will draw them close to himself as well as work in their lives and situations.
2) for BSM 2019-2020 and as our staff pray for and plan..
3) for our wonderful volunteers that make so much of what we do possible & allows Tamara to focus on what she does well.
4) for student leaders for 2019-2020 to rise up, bond, and lead in creative ways next year.
5) for financial provision for Tamara, who has been moved to spend more time on campus and less time trying to "make up" her salary with odd jobs. If you feel led to support her ministry on campus, please know what your donation will be tax deductible through Texas Baptists.
is a Texas Baptist Missionary, raising 100% of her salary to serve on the college campuses in Montgomery County, Texas. This blog is an effort to keep you posted with what's happening on campus monthly. Please consider becoming one of Tamara's financial partners (of course it's tax deductible).